Labskin is a full thickness human skin model, comprised of both dermal and epidermal layers, and is produced exclusively and reproducibly on site at Innovenn at our laboratories from primary human cells (keratinocytes & fibroblasts). The model exhibits a fully differentiated epidermal layer, which provides a completely dry surface for tailored testing requirements.
By using Labskin you can quantify and understand human cellular responses to your ingredient or product in the flexible environment of an in vitro assay but with the confidence that results are a closer representation of what may occur in vivo.
The surface of Labskin is dry and mechanically robust and withstands repeated application of final formulations, even allowing finger spreading of products if required. By combining years of expertise in skin microbiology with tissue culture know-how, the surface of Labskin can be colonised with microorganisms, something no other living skin equivalent is capable of. Using either commensal skin microflora or known pathogenic strains (e.g. Staphylococcus aureus) you can simultaneously gauge both skin (cellular) and microbial responses to your product.
Labskin application areas include:
- Assessment of ingredient or product safety (a real alternative to animal testing)
- Looking at the potential of ingredients or formations to cause irritation
- Evaluating the impact of a product on the natural skin microflora
- Looking at product efficacy against pathogenic bacteria
- Determining the likely anti-ageing effects of ingredients or formulations (see data sheet below)
- Assessment of the effect of a product against dandruff (Malassezia) (see data sheet below)
- Labskin has also been used in combination with Mass Spectrometry Imaging in drug delivery studies (see data sheet below)
Applications & Testing Data Sheets
Labskin R&D Activities
We are committed to the continual evolution of Labskin to maintain the technology as a world-class opportunity to assess dermatological products.